These and similar questions come up again and again, whether you are on the Internet for business or pleasure. Inform yourself with the Cyberfibel.
A joint project of highly reputable players
The Cyberfibel is a joint project of highly reputable companies and institutions. Participants include the digital association Bitkom, companies such as DATEV and the German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI). They have the common goal of providing consumers with the expertise they need for the topic of „security on the Internet.“ The German Federal Ministry of the Interior has assumed patronage.
The two pillars of the Cyberfibel
The Cyberfibel comprises two pillars. They stand on an equal footing:
- The first part, „Digital Lifeworlds,“ shows everyday applications of digital technologies in private and professional life. Among other things, this involves reflecting on one’s own behavior on the Internet.
- The second part, „Digital Competencies,“ addresses risks in the online world and gives practical recommendations on how to protect oneself and one’s devices from possible threats from the Net.
Entry possible at any point in the Cyberfibel
Important and very practical: All „lifeworlds“ and „competencies“ can be viewed both consecutively and independently of each other. They do not build on each other.
Overview of the five „lifeworlds
Five „lifeworlds“ are the starting point for getting started with the Cyberfibel:
- Being online and going online
- Shopping and paying online
- Networking and exchanging online
- Planning trips online and being mobile
- Being online at home and during leisure time
- „Shop and pay online“ as an example
In times of Corona and Lockdown, the „Shop and pay online“ lifestyle should be of particular interest. Clicking on it continues with this text:
„In the ‚Shop and pay online‘ lifeworld, you’ll learn:
- what online shopping is and how to find suitable offers on the Internet,
- what profiling and personalized advertising is
- how to use online platforms safely
- how banking transactions (e.g. transfers or share trading) work via the Internet and other payment methods via app.
The exercises in each section make it easy for you to share your knowledge with others.“
Acquiring competence through practical exercises
The exercises take you right into the real world. For example, one exercise on online banking is as follows: research „demo account online banking“ on the Internet. Select a hit from the list of results that obviously leads to a test of an online banking access. Use the test access and get an overview of what online banking offers.
Find all the functions you need for your banking transactions (for example, account balance, transfers, standing orders). Link tips lead you further. The exercises are preceded by „link tips“. They lead to well-designed and reputable websites.
For online banking, the Cyberfibel provides two link tips:
- Golden Rules for the Secure Use of Mobile Banking, published by the Federal Office for Information Security Phishing radar, published by the consumer advice center.
Overview of the seven „digital competencies
Alongside the five lifeworlds are seven „Digital Competencies.“
These cover the following topics:
- Secure Internet settings
- Setting up and maintaining devices and software securely
- Using secure logins
- Protecting and securing data
- Secure digital communication
- Secure transactions
- EXTRA: Understanding risks
„Stations“ as docking points
The topics each lead to so-called „stations“. In the case of the topic „Using secure logins,“ for example, you come across the three stations „Setting up secure passwords,“ „Setting up a password manager,“ and „2-factor authentication.“
It’s more fun together!
You can work through the Cyberfibel on your own on the screen. However, there are also suggestions for group work with several people throughout the exercises. Such group work is very well possible in video conferences.
Access to the Cyberfibel
Access to the Cyberfibel is simple and easy to remember: www.cyberfibel.de.
If you enter the term „Cyberfibel“ in a search engine like Google, you will find the access as the first hit.